Growth of the university
Updated: 2017-05-24 07:42:22
Zhejiang University grew out of a small school Qiushi Academy, which was founded in 1897 and one of the earliest modern academies of higher education in China.
Since 1901 Qiushi Academy had its name changed several times, and was once even suspended.
In 1927, on the historic site of the academy, the Third National Sun Yat-sen University was established. In April 1928, it was renamed Zhejiang University. Beginning in July 1928, it became known as National Zhejiang University with three schools.
After the outbreak of the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression (1937-45), Zhejiang University was forced to move to Southwest China's Guizhou province.
In 1946, Zhejiang University moved back to Hangzhou. And two years later, it became a comprehensive university with seven schools, 25 departments, nine research institutes and a research center.
In 1952, universities in China underwent a nationwide reshuffling. The disciplines and institutes of Zhejiang University were restructured.
With the approval of the State Council, on Sept 15, 1998, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou University, Zhejiang Agricultural University and Zhejiang Medical University united as the comprehensive new Zhejiang University.